First Breath

by - April 13, 2017

The image of, or maybe it was the feeling of, taking a deep first breath came to my mind the other day as I was reading.  That thought or memory of taking a deep breath after holding my breath for a while stuck with me and made me think of different first breaths I've taken.

What first breaths can you recall?  Memorable first breaths follow memorable times of anticipation. Anticipation is generated when something is desired or hoped for, and when it is realized we can finally breathe deep, filling our lungs with air and relief.  

Can you remember the feeling of that first breath after:
  • staying under water for just a second or two, too long
  • checking the bank account to see that everything cleared
  • passing the highway patrol lead-footed and not see his lights begin flashing
  • seeing a passing score on a difficult exam 
  • the shot swishes through the hoop at the buzzer #whynot
  • getting up and walking off what could have been a serious injury
  • getting the job desperately desired
  • hearing the baby cry for the first time
  • the surgery is over and successful
  • the plane touches down on the tarmac 
Here is what I was reading that made me think about a first breath:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..." (1 Peter 1:3)

I had not specifically/intentionally considered that moment of resurrection before. I've thought about Jesus' last breath on the cross, but, the images in my mind usually jump from the cross to him robed in white making himself known to Mary, the Apostles, Thomas when he doubted, and crowds of hundreds who would be eyewitnesses to his resurrection.   (1 Corinthians 15:3-11) (Read Paul's list of those to whom Jesus appeared)

According to Scripture, His death was long and agonizing. (Read What Happened) His lungs, after being drowned on the cross, were lifeless and dead, but then ... filled again.   Since he was not spared the pain of death, I wonder if He also tangibly experienced the wonder of resurrection in that moment new life occurred. I mean, did he just "zap" go from death wrap to white robe? Or, did his lungs fill slowly as the Father breathed life back into him, like when He first breathed life into Adam? Did Jesus gasp as air and life returned, or did he just awaken and arise? As I take a minute to think of that moment of resurrection, I imagine he felt the joy of that long awaited breath.

  • Breathing in deep when what you hoped is made real
  • New life breathed into what had been dead
  • Being made right with God through faith in His plan for salvation: Jesus the Messiah
Reading 1 Peter this week led me to think about that first breath that followed those moments of anticipation after his last breath while hanging on the cross.  The Bible doesn't describe for us the moment of resurrection.  These are just my wonderings. But, however it happened ...what a first breath that was.  That first breath resurrected life in Him and defeated death for us.

As we reconcile His life, death, and resurrection to the prophecy that foretold him, as we consider the lives of those first generation eye witnesses who gave everything to tell of Him, we have a choice to believe or not.  I believe.

As believers in Christ, our last breath is also promised to be followed by a first breath that we will take in His presence. John. Toots. Corky. Karla. My people who have taken their first breath because Jesus took his. Who are some of your people? Do you have this promise for yourself? Do your children have it? It's there to receive, but you have to come and take it.  This weekend we celebrate his resurrection, so it is a good time to get it. Go to church.  Hear the story.  Let your lungs be filled after a long time of anticipation, denial, or stubbornness. You probably know if you fit into one of those or not.  Take a first breath in Him if you haven't already.  

1 Peter 1:6-9 personalized..."In this I rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, I have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of my faith -- more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire -- may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though I do not now see him, I believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of my faith, the salvation of my soul." 

Have you had any trouble breathing? Are you holding your breath in anticipation of either something you dread or hope?  As you commit in faith to believe what was accomplished through Jesus' first breath, I pray that you find what is more precious than gold.  Come what may it is well, and beyond it is well ...it is good.

He breathed that first breath for you, for new life, and lasting hope.

So maybe put on some white patent leather shoes, breathe it in, and celebrate.

Find a squad to celebrate with.  Here is my first super-fly Easter Squad from 1977. I mean, they are on point. Maybe don't dress your baby up like a baby chicken though.  You are supposed to decorate eggs and dress your kids. Just a little reminder.

E Squad '77: Jimmy, Chris, Jennifer and me.
PS. did you know it is "patent" leather and not "patten" leather?  I didn't.

If you are looking for a church to attend in OKC come to North. We'll be there. North Church Website

You May Also Like

0 comments